Eddie Doyle Meador (August 10, 1937 – September 4, 2023): NFL Cornerback and Rams Legend
Eddie Doyle Meador, known for his stellar career as a cornerback for the Los Angeles Rams, made an indelible mark in the world of American football. Here’s a glimpse of his accomplished life:
Early Life and Education:
- Eddie Doyle Meador was an exceptional athlete during his high school years at Russellville High School (RHS), where he excelled in football, basketball, and track.
- He continued his athletic journey at Arkansas Tech University (ATU), showcasing his talents in multiple sports and leaving an indelible mark on college football.
College Football Achievements:
- During his college football career at ATU (1955–58), Meador displayed his versatility as tailback, defensive back, return specialist, and co-captain, leaving a lasting impact on the Arkansas Tech Wonder Boys.
- His achievements included being named All-Conference in the Arkansas Intercollegiate Conference (AIC) and receiving the title of Little All-American in his senior season.
- Drafted by the Los Angeles Rams in the 7th Round of the 1959 NFL Draft, Meador made an immediate impact as a rookie, earning the Rams’ Defensive Rookie of the Year title.
- Meador’s NFL career was remarkable, earning numerous accolades including Pro Bowl selections and All-Pro titles. He showcased exceptional skills as a cornerback and later as a free safety, making crucial interceptions and tackles.
- He set records in interceptions, tackles, and blocked kicks, cementing his legacy as the Rams’ all-time interception leader and an integral part of the team.
Accolades and Recognitions:
- Throughout his career, Meador received numerous honors and awards, including being named to the Los Angeles Rams All-Time team and the NFL’s All-Decade Team for the 1960s.
- He was not only a phenomenal player but also held important positions, including the NFL Players Association President.
Legacy and Passing:
- Eddie Doyle Meador passed away on September 4, 2023, at the age of 86. He left behind a legacy of excellence in the NFL, particularly with the Los Angeles Rams, and will be remembered as a true football legend.